Friday, May 16, 2008

Vegan Banana Bread

Since there are so many foods my body won't tolerate, much of what I make is vegan, so that I can eat it. This is my own version of a recipe I found on http://www.vegweb.com/ and it was delicious! I love bread when it's moist, and this was perfect. Also, I did take a picture of my bread, but might have deleted it by accident. Oh, and my roommate who tried this bread loved it and couldn't tell a difference between this version and regular banana bread.

3 medium bananas (very ripe)
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp stevia powder
2/3 cup splenda
2 tsp olive oil
1.5 tsp miracle whip
¼ cup vanilla soy milk
1 ½ tsp vanilla

1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
about ½-1tbsp cinnamon (few shakes)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a 9 inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray. If using a standard loaf pan, increase heat to 350.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together first five ingredients until well incorporated.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.
4. Dump flour mixture into the wet and stir just until uniformly moist. DO NOT OVERMIX! Depending on the type of flour you use, you may need to add a little extra water or soymilk to reach the right consistency. The dough should be somewhere in between pancake batter and cookie dough.
5. Dump into prepared pan and give it a couple shakes to distribute the batter.
6. Place on the middle oven rack and bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes. (If using a standard loaf pan, increase baking time.) Check the bread at around 30 minutes. It is done when just starting to brown around the edges and still a little moist looking in the middle. Allow to cool ten minutes before cutting into squares or slices.
Serves: 12 Preparation time: 45 minutes

1 comment:

Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

This sounds so yummy! My stomach is rumbling. Better go get baking.